Special educational needs (SEN)
If you want to complain about a school’s SEN support, you should do it while your child is still registered at the school. This includes complaints that the school has not provided the support required by your child’s SEN statement or education, health and care (EHC) plan.
Make a complaint
Follow these steps in order. Move on to the next step if your complaint is not resolved.
- Talk to the school’s special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO).
- Follow the school’s complaints procedure.
- Complain to your local authority.
Complain to the Education Funding Agency instead of the local authority if both the following apply:
- the school is an academy or free school
- your complaint is not about an SEN statement or an EHC plan
There’s a different process if you disagree with a decision your local authority has made about an SEN statement or an EHC plan.